diversity, equity & inclusion
diversity, equity & inclusion goals
Arbor Circle is rooted in our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we affirm our responsibility to confront oppression within our community. Our equity and inclusion goals are:
• Service delivery is culturally responsive, inclusive, and trauma-informed.
• Agency culture is equitable, inclusive, and anti-racist.
• Systemic racism and other forms of oppression within our community are dissolved.
striving for equity
Arbor Circle has many programs that work to address the health and mental health disparities in the communities we serve, intent on creating more equitable outcomes. We are also dedicated to ensuring our employment experience reflects our equity and inclusion goals. In 2022, this work is reflected in our efforts to educate our staff and advocate for members of our community through various internal and external activities:
• Hosted two free community events centering BIPOC experiences
• Implemented culturally responsive case consultation in outpatient counseling
• Provided numerous cultural intelligence and equity-focused staff development opportunities
• Engaged board members in equity-centered decision-making education to guide leadership strategies
• Conducted an external pay equity analysis and developed an organization-wide compensation philosophy
• Celebrated and commemorated a variety of awareness days and a diverse range of holidays through specific trainings, events, and celebrations
• Held a quarterly Equity Book Club, with books written by diverse authors and/or centered on themes of equity
• Sponsored and participated in a variety of community events through the lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion
equity & inclusion council & staff workgroups
Arbor Circle’s Equity and Inclusion Council is comprised of staff at various levels throughout the organization, and provides consultation and feedback to inform organizational decision-making and community-level advocacy. In addition to this group, Arbor Circle has several staff work groups focused on specific disparities in our community:
• LEAD (LGBTQ+ Equity, Advocacy, and Diversity) provides education, training, advocacy, outreach, and support for LGBTQ+ staff, clients, and community. This group is inclusive and open to all staff, both LGBTQ+ and allies.
• SAJE (Staff Advocates for Equity & Justice) supports the advancement of equity, inclusion, and justice through advocacy efforts and awareness building.
• SEEDS (Support, Education, Empowerment, Diversity, Strategy) brings together staff of color across the organization for networking, support, professional development, and advocacy to eliminate systemic racism and other forms of oppression.
staff & board development
In 2022, Arbor Circle provided 48 staff development trainings on a variety of clinical and client service topics infused with a focus on equity, inclusion, and cultural intelligence. In addition, each division maintained their own equity and inclusion plan, providing education and advocacy specific to their needs at the program level. Our board members also engaged in education on equity-centered decision-making to guide their leadership and recruitment strategies.
staff & board diversity compared to clients